12 Feb Anderson Silva failed not one, but two drug tests leading to UFC 183
When Georges St. Pierre said the Anderson Silva drug use issue is just the tip of the iceberg, many thought he was exaggerating. Not so much now.
In a story first reported by MMA Junkie, “The Spider” failed a second drug test related to the UFC 183 versus Nick Diaz. Silva was tested for two steroids drostanolone and androstane in January 9 (Diaz himself was tested positive for marijuana metabolites) and was later reported to have passed the subsequent screening done January 19th. However, that turned out to be untrue (at least on some part) and folks should hold the brakes on that story for now.
Unnamed sources close to the situation and have requested anonymity for this sensitive case, said Silva indeed failed the latest assessment. They are not permitted to speak publicly about the matter and an open-records request made by MMAJunkie has not been answered yet by the state of Nevada.
As the report goes, the date of the said second drug test was unclear whether it was on January 19th or it was a whole different date altogether. But whatever the circumstances surrounding this controversy is, it’s certain that this whole saga of drug use in professional fight sports is running rampant. It’s not all hearsays and accusations anymore.
It was only weeks ago when it was revealed that UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones tested positive for cocaine metabolites in an out-of-competition screening leading to the UFC 182 bout with Daniel Cormier. And it was on that same card that welterweight contender Hector Lombard got busted for anabolic steroids post-fight which led to his UD win over Josh Burkman being overturned to a no-contest.
Silva will likely face fines and suspension at least until the NSAC hearing takes place February 17, Monday, alongside Diaz. It’s also likely that the victory over Diaz– as in Lombard’s case– will be reversed which means, he has to say goodbye to that sweet $200,000 win bonus he received.
This wasn’t how the UFC wanted this year to start given how poorly they fared financially in 2014. Former UFC WW champion GSP admittedly relinquished the belt in hopes that the promotion would clean up the sport. His absence no doubt contributed to the UFC’s financial demise, along with injuries to some big names, but this could be a whole different animal altogether.
The Canadian MMA icon is one of the frontrunners in the crusade against drug use in MMA and has been very vocal about since he was in the UFC up until now.
“I believe there’s a lot of guys who are going to get caught,” St. Pierre told Ariel Helwani in MMA Hour. “A lot of fighters in MMA know it’s a big problem. The guys that know MMA well and are in competition, they can tell you it’s a big problem, even if they don’t want to admit it.”
“It’s a big problem and they need to find out what to do with it.”
“Rush” declined to name names (which might add to the problem, I believe) but so far those crazy statements about the PED and drug use fad in MMA is suddenly not so crazy right now. Silva, in all fairness, hasn’t been caught with PED’s and other drugs before but that is exactly how grim the reality is: No one in the sport right now is above suspicion.
The UFC and basically every sporting organization should take a firm stand against it. If that means trimming the whole roster down to 10 people, that’s what they should do.
I just hope everything is not too late. Or is it?
Latest posts by Jan Obguia (see all)
- 3 Lessons We Learned From The McGregor vs Diaz Fight - March 8, 2016
- 6 Scariest UFC Knockout Artists Today - February 19, 2016
- Dominick Cruz Reclaims 135-lb Belt In SD Win Over TJ Dillashaw - January 19, 2016